At the heart of the Kansas City Art Institute's campus is Vanderslice Hall, the geographic and administrative core of the school. The three-story red-brick mansion, once known as Marburg, was designed by architects Van Brunt and Howe and built in 1896 for August Robert Meyer and his family. In 1927, Howard Vanderslice, a trustee of the Institute, purchased the home and surrounding acreage as a new location for KCAI - the building was renamed Vanderslice Hall in his honor. Its magnificent landscaping was the design of George E. Kessler, creator of Kansas City's park and boulevard system.
In 1928 Vanderslice Hall became home to the school's administrative offices, classrooms and the library, while painting and sculpture studios were located in its greenhouses. The building has been central to KCAI's campus and is an important landmark for the community. In 1983, Vanderslice Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Vanderslice Hall is undergoing a restoration, including masonry repairs, new windows and other work that will bring the building back to its original grandeur. These updates, underwritten by the William T. Kemper Foundation, will help preserve this impressive building for our campus - and Kansas City! - to enjoy.
Respecting the past, building the future.